Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Writing a Conference Proposal and Speaking: Ways to Publicize Your Book

I'm an independent journalist and belong to three professional organizations. Each has its benefits, but staying up to date with the organizations is a challenge. Though I was interested in giving a presentation at a national conference, I didn't submit a proposal because I thought the conference was in a different city.

Surprise! The organization sent me a reminder email and the 2012 conference would be within driving distance. Conference proposals were due that day, one minute before midnight. If I was going to submit a proposal I had to get cracking. Several topics came to mind and I narrowed my choice down to one.

Submission guidelines were posted on the association's website. Armed with this information, I started writing my proposal at eight in the morning. At eleven o'clock I looked up from my computer monitor. Where had the time gone? Though I won't know if my proposal will be accepted, I know I did my best.

Writing a Conference Proposal and Speaking: Ways to Publicize Your Book

Are you thinking of submitting a conference proposal? My experience may help you.

First, I encourage you to write a draft. Though I based my draft on website information, when I logged into the website, I discovered the headings were in a different order. Because I had a printout of my proposal, I was able to switch information around. Still, I got stuck at the end and had to call the national office for help.

The association wanted two abstracts, a long one not to exceed 300 words and a short one for the conference program. Writing an abstract for a group of PhDs, counselors, and book authors was daunting. I had two options. One was to write a technical abstract and the other was to write one based on life experience. Option two was my choice.

I've spoken at Alzheimer's, public health, and bereavement conferences and this experience taught me the importance of stories. This thought kept running through my mind as I wrote my abstract. The conference categories included research, panel discussion, experiential workshop, scholarly report, case presentation, personal story, and poster presentation. The personal story category sounded like the best fit for me.

This category has a one-hour presentation, 45 minutes for the talk, and 15 minutes for questions. Each presenter is provided with Power Point capability. I don't know if I will use Power Point, but asked for a large pad an easel. Online, my proposal looked good as did the homey title. From my vantage point, the proposal proved I had a unique story to tell.

Speaking at conferences helps me spread the word about my book. It can also help you publicize your book. Just as you submit your book to suitable publisher, you must submit a proposal to a suitable conference. Read the guidelines carefully, follow them to the letter, write a draft, print it out, and meet the deadline. Don't wait until the last minute like I did!

Copyright 2011 by Harriet Hodgson

Writing a Conference Proposal and Speaking: Ways to Publicize Your Book
Check For The New Release in Health, Fitness & Dieting Category of Books NOW!
Check What Are The Top Cooking Books in Last 90 Days Best Cheap Deal!
Check For Cookbooks Best Sellers 2012 Discount OFFER!
Check for Top 100 Most Popular Books People Are Buying Daily Price Update!
Check For 100 New Release & BestSeller Books For Your Collection

http://www.harriethodgson.com

Harriet Hodgson has been an independent journalist for 30+ years. Her 24th book, Smiling Through Your Tears: Anticipating Grief, written with Lois Krahn, MD, is available from Amazon.

Centering Corporation published her 26th book, Writing to Recover: The Journey from Loss and Grief to a New Life, a companion journal, and The Spiritual Woman: Quotes to Refresh and Sustain Your Soul. The company is also publishing her latestbook, Happy Again!

Harriet has two other new books, 101 Affirmations to Ease Your Grief Journey and Real Meals on 18 Wheels: A Guide to Healthy Living on the Highway, Kathryn Clements, RD, co-author, and available from Amazon soon. Please visit Harriet's website and learn more about this busy author.

cell phone watches Purchase Alps Mountaineering Red Tail 4900 Cubic Inch Order 6 Square Tubing Inground Multi Pedestal Utility Hot Deals Castana Round Dining Table

0 comments:

Post a Comment